Y’all, after the response in last Tuesday’s post, I have decided to start a weekly tutorial series on varying areas of adulting! I’m still figuring a lot out myself, so we can learn together. How exciting!
Anyway, I’m kind of controlling and borderline Type-A (obviously. That’s why I’m a blogger). It probably has a lot to do with being a Girl Scout for over 10 years and having “Always Be Prepared” drilled into my head the whole time. The point is, I like to plan ahead for things and to at the very least appear prepared and put together.
Knowing this, imagine my utter shock and horror when I waltzed into work last Thursday rocking a t-shirt, jeans, and no makeup only to realize that I was supposed to attend a Chamber meeting in like half an hour. Whoops! I currently live almost an hour away from work. There was no going home to change. This was the second time I was not totally prepared for a networking event in a week’s time!
I decided right then and there that I need to keep a few things around in case I drop the ball again. By drop the ball I mean the times that I tell myself “oh Hannah, you don’t need to write the xxxxx down in your planner. You’ll remember it. Duh girl!” That’s how the “Oh Sh*t Kit” was born.
You will need:
- A cosmetics case.
- BB cream/CC cream. You don’t have time to mess with real foundation and concealer at this point. You’re just going for an even-ish overall tone. Currently using: Revlon Photofinish in Pale a.k.a. “Girl are you a Vampire for real?”
- A lip color that can also double as a cheek color. Go for a shade that you could blend in bad parking garage lighting without totally screwing it up. Right now I have a shade called “Ravishing Rose” by Maybelline in my kit. It’s like my lips only pinker.
- Mascara. I like Full ‘N Soft from Maybelline. I have weird texture aversions sometimes and this mascara is cheap and doesn’t get too stiff and flaky.
- Lip balm. I just keep a tube of straight Aquaphor handy because I’m extra.
- Mints. We don’t want coffee breath when we are trying to network.
- Comb, bobby pins, and elastics. I don’t rock second day hair very often, but when I do, it needs to be creatively arranged.
- Feminine hygeine products. Obviously you should just keep these everywhere always.
- Blazer (or wrap dress! I have a cotton one from Pact Organic Apparel that I threw in my car for such occasions) and basic black flats to keep at your desk or in your car.
What to do:
- Throw items 2-8 in cosmetics case.
- Toss cosmetics case in handbag. Place flats and blazer or dress in your car.
- Always be prepared, or, appear prepared.